1933 - Rev. Donald was removed from Wavertree to
become minister of Stamford Hill church, London in April 1933. The Rev. A.C.McDougall came to Wavertree
as the new minister.
Throughout the 1930's there seemed to be much
discussion about finance and it was noted that the church had a permanent overdraft.
1938 - It was decided to hold the first Gift Day
1939 - The plans to celebrate the Centenary of the opening of the Church, had to
be curtailed due to the outbreak of the war.
1940 - Wellington Road Mission was sold to the Liverpool City
1941 - Considerable damage was done to the church buildings in air raids. Most
organisations ceased to function, but pastoral work carried on. The manse was also damaged including roof and
1942 - The church roof was re-slated and new roof trusses were fitted, due to dry
1943 - The Bishop of Liverpool preached at Hunters Lane and later, a letter was
received from him expressing his pleasure at the welcome he had received.
1945 - Start of the Girls Guildry, which still flourishes, though the title was
changed to Girls Brigade in 1965.
1948 - Rev. McDougall resigned in January and the Rev.
E.J.Jenkins was inducted in July.
1949 - It was proposed to buy a plot of land in Childwall Road for a new
1952 - The manse in Victoria Park was sold and the old Wavertree Rectory was bought - the
ground floor to be used as Church House for meetings etc. and the first floor as a flat for the
1954 - The chalice and goblets were introduced on the Communion Table. They
had been discovered on Church premises after having been in disuse for some 40 years. In August 1954 Rev.
Jenkins left to go to Newport, Monmouthshire.
1955 - The Rev.F.O.Brown was inducted in
1957 - Saw the opening of the Boys Brigade.
1958 - Repairs to the church building were essential. There was a lot of dry rot,
the outside had to be re-pointed, and the inside was painted. Work was also necessary in the
1961 - Church House was sold and a house was bought in Menlove Avenue for use as
1966 - Work went on steadily in the various organisations and new work was started at
each end of the age range. The schoolroom was used for babies and toddlers, and an over 60's club was formed. Also
in 1966 the church was completely re-wired.
1967 - The church was re-decorated and re-carpeted.
1968 - More dry rot was treated and the paths were asphalted.
1971 - A big decision had to be taken. Were we going to join with the
Presbyterians and become part of the United Reformed Church? Special meetings were held and much discussion took
place, and when the vote was taken the required 75% was not obtained, so we stayed as a Congregational
1972 - In November the church sustained a serious fire. The choir vestry,
B.B.Room and the staircases were gutted and the flames spread to the roof timbers. Repair work took a considerable
time. The organ had to be re-built, new staircases put in, re-plastering, re-glazing in places, painting, new
carpets and a big clean up before the church re-opened in September 1974.
1973 - Wavertree joined the
1976 - Wavertree was host to the Congregational Federation Easter Youth
Conference, 78 young people attended.
1977 - We celebrated the Queens Silver Jubilee by presenting Jubilee Crowns to
all the children and young people of the church.
1978 - The Wellington Road Mission celebrated their Centenary, Rev. Brown
represented Hunters Lane.
1979 - The Northern Area of the Congregational Federation held their AGM when
approximately 200 people attended.
1980 - This was a special year, Rev. Brown was elected President of the
Congregational Federation, at the May meetings in Bristol. It was also 25 years since Rev. Brown came to Wavertree.
In October we held a special anniversary and social, when presentations were made to Rev.Brown and Mrs.
1981 - An amplifying system was installed into church.
1983 - Alterations took place to the kitchen, a double sink was installed and new
working surfaces were fitted.
1985 - Wavertree once again hosted the Congregational Federation Easter Youth Conference.
when 110 young people attended. Rev. Brown resigned as from 30th September 1985.
1987 - The Rev. Gerald Hudson was ordained as the
minister of Hunters Lane.
1994 - Rev. Hudson moves on and Hunters Lane is
delighted to welcome Rev. John Arnold as their new minister.
1998 - Girls Brigade and Boys Brigade close at Wavertree and PILOTS a non-uniformed
Christian based childrens group starts.
2009 - The Baby Willis organ is refurbished in memory of Cynthia
2010 - New toilets are built in the porch and school room in Hunters
2011 - The 175 year anniversary of the church and the launch of the